Job Title/Position: Hospice LVN/LPN
Reports To: Case Manager RN
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Description Summary
Under the direct supervision of either the Director of Nursing (RN), QA Nurse, or Case Manager, the Licensed Vocational Nurse provides intermittent Skilled Nursing services to patients in the home setting according to the patients Plan of Care. LVN/LPN actively participates in the planning, evaluation and implementation of individualized patient care in coordination with the RN.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Provides intermittent and skilled nursing services including assessment, evaluation, procedures, teaching, and training activities as outlines in the patient Plan of Treatment.
- Reports significant findings to patient’s physician and RN as they occur.
- Submits completed skilled nursing notes, and communication notes per policy.
- Submits change orders within 48 hours of occurrence.
- Schedules a Case Conference/IDG with assigned RN to review patient’s needs, problems, level of care and any changes in Plan of Care of next cert period.
- Completes communication note documenting plans of recertification were discussed and agreed upon between the physician, patient, RN and RN case manager.
- Participates in updating the Patient Care Plan on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in PI program through submission of data collection as it relates to direct patient care problems and serving on PI teams.
- Follows agency policies and procedures.
- Attends staff meetings and educational in-services per agency requirements.
- Continually strives to improve nursing care by broadening knowledge through formal education, attendance at work shops, conferences and participation in professional and related organizations and individual researching reading.
- A minimum of 50% of yearly in-services.
- Effectively communicates with all members of the multidisciplinary team, the patient and physician.
- Acts as the patient’s advocate and as such is liaison to assist in communicating the patient’s needs to the multidisciplinary team.
- Participates in the discharge planning process.
- Documents discharge planning on SN notes.
- Currently licensed as a licensed practical nurse by the State Board of Nursing.
- One year prior nursing experience preferred.
- Ability to work in a field setting and exhibited ability to make sound nursing judgment.
- Effective communication skills.
- Computer proficiency and a working knowledge of Microsoft programs required.
- Current CPR certification.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and daily access to a reliable and insured vehicle.
- Hospice/ experience preferred
Working Conditions (Travel, Hours, And Environment)
- Able to work part time or PRN, with some weekend work
- Holiday coverage per holiday schedule.
- 90% weekly travel without restriction; 0% overnight travel
- This position is paid an hourly wage.
Physical/Sensory Requirements (With Or Without The Aid Of Mechanical Devices)
Not Applicable for this position
- Standing, sitting, walking, lifting up to 50 lbs on a frequent basis. Has well-developed motor coordination and manual dexterity to perform basic skills. Must have good vision, hearing, speech and language abilities to perform and communicate Hospice Field LVN activities.
- The Hospice Field LVN position requires the following in lifting (any lifting over 35 pounds requires the use of an assistive device/and or physical assistance):
|Up to 10 lbs||X|
|Above 100 lbs||x|
OSHA Category Classification Category I: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues. This includes all procedures or job related tasks that involve inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood, body fluids or tissues, or potential spills or splashes of them.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
I have read and understand the above job description. By signing below, I certify that I meet the minimum requirements and physical demands of the job and will comply with all Altus Hospice policies and procedures.